Sunday, April 19, 2009

My first blog

Spring is in the air at the home place in Stromsburg. Today I was torn between getting out in the great weather and finishing up my latest project.

So I did both. I spent the early afternoon in the yard planting a new bed of asparagus (a personal favorite at our house) and mowing the front yard. Once I got done with that, and cleaned up a bit, I came back in to get to work on the latest sewing project!

I like to make custom drum cases for hand drums. My latest creation is a sage green case with polar fleece lining. It's fun for me to make and the fleece is really nice next to your skins ;)

This sage green case is for someone who lives far away from me and I didn't have access to the actual drum for a 'fitting.' So I made a psuedo-drum out of a couple of circles of cardboard and a piece of dowling. It works well enough for me to get close to what I need.

First, I cut the dowel to length matching it to the height of the drum in question. Then, using my fancy circle-cutting jig (a pen, a straight pin, and a piece of ribbon), I made two cardboard circles matching the diameter of the top and the bottom of the drum. A couple of wood screws later, I have a reasonable facsimile of a doumbek. From there, it's a simple matter to create a pattern on an old sheet for a case.

I have to admit, the 'drum jig' seemed like a stroke of genious for this old bird. I felt pretty good about that. I feel even better about the drum case. And the asparagus too.

No comments:

Post a Comment